We offer a variety of methods for pain management during the procedure and the recovery period. All of the standard medications administered during the procedures are included in the basic fees. Local anesthesia, analgesia, sedation and anxiety relief are offered to each patient.
We offer extra analgesia, complete sedation and general anesthesia upon request of individual patients and according to their needs.
Certain patients will require general anesthesia or special medication for discomfort. All of these services are available at our facilities and tailored to each patient by our Medical Doctor with over 32 years of experience.
We offer 3 different pain control management for your particular comfort needs.
(1) Light I.V. Sedation
For the relief of anxiety and to minimize the discomfort during the abortion.
(2) Moderate I.V. Sedation
An Immediate ease of anxiety and pain as well as relief of tension and stress.
(3) Conscious Sedation
Conscious sedation is a combination of medicines to help you relax (a sedative) and to block pain (an anesthetic) during a medical procedure. Conscious sedation lets you recover quickly.
(4) Deep I.V.Sedation/Twilight Anesthesia
This is short in duration and very safe. You may actually feel you are asleep “going under” or not conscious during the abortion surgery. Patient needs to have a partner to drive you home.
Womancare offers the following abortion services.
- Abortion through 24 weeks
- Laminaria for patients who are in their second trimester
- Confidential health history
- Laboratory tests including a pregnancy test and an Rh factor screening test
- Discussion with a counselor regarding options, questions, legal requirements, etc.
- Pelvic examination and ultrasound
- Anesthesia – the abortion procedure may be done with a local anesthetic, conscious sedation or general anesthesia, depending on the stage of pregnancy and the patient’s wishes
- Recovery room care, including aftercare instructions and birth control information and samples
- Two week post-surgical follow-up visit
- Medical abortions (RU486) – RU486 is also called the “abortion pill” and is not an alternative for everyone. Patients should be aware that this is a medical process which takes place over a two-week period and involves two to three visits. Patients must be less than 63 days pregnant (9 weeks gestation).
Womancare utilizes only the FDA-approved method of Mifepristone.
If you decide to have an abortion, Michigan law requires you to receive certain material 24 hours in advance of the surgery. Many people believe that this material is intended to scare you or change your mind by making you feel guilty. Remember, this is your decision. Only you can decide what is best for you in your circumstances.
Click HERE to download a copy of the Michigan 24 Hour Consent Materials Instructions.